Here is some of the new items we would like you to know about. For more in-depth discussion, follow the link (if available) of your choice:
IASIS MicroCurrent Neurofeedback (April 2015)
MicroPulse Neurofeedback (MPN) is designed to help the brain rebalance and reorganize itself. The process involves applying small sensors to the head and neck that detect and monitor brainwaves and then send the resulting electronic signals to a computer and a specialized EEG processor. The IASIS computer returns a tiny impulse that is virtually a mirror image of the brain's own waves. This change allows the brain to reorganize itself through a gentle, effortless release of fixed, frozen patterns. By promoting (allowing) the brain to reorganize itself and shift from its formerly fixed patterns, MPN is like rebooting a computer, your brain.
MicroPulse Neurofeedback has been reported to benefit include:
- Anxiety including symptoms of panic attacks, generalized anxiety and PTSD, impulse control, irritability, emotional outbursts or wide emotional fluctuations, anger and rage, explosiveness, fears
- Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms including hypervigilance, irritability, restlessness, and sleeping problems
- Depression including bipolar conditions, lack of joy and flat emotions, social withdrawal, feelings of helplessness, deep sadness, loss of energy, lack of motivation, and loss of sense of humor
- Head trauma including those with mild/moderate Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), concussions, blast injuries, strokes, brain or cranial surgeries, seizures
- Cognitive dysfunction including ADD/ADHD, some learning disabilities, brain fog, cognitive deficits from stroke, poor memory, being unable to do more than one thing at a time, problems following conversations and reading material, problems absorbing and understanding what people say, problems of clarity, thinking and estimating clearly
- Obsessiveness including compulsions, individuals who say their brain won't stop, some aspects of autistic spectrum disorders, sleep disorders
- Addictions including those to alcohol, prescription medications, nicotine/cigarettes, and recreational substances (cocaine, marijuana, etc.)
- Fatigue and Pain conditions including fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, neuro-inflammatory states (eg- microglial activation), EMF sensitivities, Oppositional Defiant Disorders
German Zermeno, M.D. (December 2014)
Dr. Zermeno has moved his office location to our suite and gives us access to his expertise and experience with bio-identical hormone pellet therapy, prolozone, chelation, IV nutrient therapies, etc. Dr. German Zermeno has been practicing medicine for approximately 28 years in Southern California. He switched from conventional medicine to integrative/antiaging/holistic medicine after he realized that medication was not the answer for healing. He believes the body heals itself if we support it with good nutrition and supplements; if we correct hormonal deficiencies with bio-identical hormones and eliminate toxins and chronic infections that steal the body's ability to produce energy.
His focus is on:
1. Nutrition and supplementation
2. Correction of hormonal imbalances especially with the insertion of subcutaneous pellets (testosterone, estradiol, etc.)
3. Prolozone injections for painful joints, ligaments and muscles.
4. Nutritional support with IV therapy especially vitamin C
5. Chelation to eliminate heavy metals
6. Energy balance
Photon Frequency Fields (December 2014)
The ability to deliver specific frequencies of light (photons) enables a powerful and deep effect on the cells of the body. In some respects this technology is similar to the pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF), frequency specific microcurrent (FSM), and photon-directed action described elsewhere in this website. The difference is the precision and power that the Hyperphoton (HPT-3D) delivers.
Direct Intravenous Ozonetherapy (DIV) Research (Aug 2014)
Dr. Kaslow received training in DIV by Howard Robins, DPM in New York in August 2014. This appears to be a very powerful modality in terms of delivering ozone-oxygen. The responses reported by patients has been consistent - much more effective than other modalities they have used such as Major AutoHemoTherapy, rectal ozone insufflation, ozone chambers, etc. It is important to realize this is strictly research.
Body Composition Analysis with an InBody 770 (Fall 2013 and updated Winter 2014)
This is a state-of-the-art medical device that provides information about body composition, water and fat distribution, and insight into the health of your cell's membranes. One of the most valuable measurements is your PHASE ANGLE. This reveals information about the status of your cell membranes, which is a reflection of the health of the tissue, organs, and overall total body. High phase angles reflect a large quantity of intact healthy cell membranes and health tissue. Low phase angles imply fewer healthy cells or when the cell membranes are more permeable or unhealthy. The most common causes of a low phase angle are low thyroid hormone action, dental and related bone structure infections, lack of exercise, lack of aerobic metabolism, excessive oxidized or trans-fatty acid intake, or intoxication with heavy metals and/or chemicals.
The InBody 770 also directly measures the EXTRACELLULAR/TOTAL BODY WATER ratio. Healthy individuals maintain an ECW/TBW ratio of approximately 38% (36-39%). Lower ECW/TBW reflect an athletic state, high lean body mass, or lower body fat %. Higher ECW/TBW reflects edema and excess water outside of the cells. The balance of water between the inside and the outside of cells is a reflection cell membrane function, the activity of the mitochondria (the primary energy producing organelle) within the cells, and the contents of the tissue matrix surrounding the cell. Because of the central fundamental role each of these components play in overall health, optimizing and monitoring water balance is a priority.
Psychosomatic Energetic Testing (REBA) (summer 2012)
While we put great effort into optimizing our physical body, we often overlook our energetic being. This is in part because previously we could not tell if there was an energetic blockage between the psyche and the soma. PsychoSomatic Energetics can be estimated through a REBA test device. Just like a stethoscope or EKG is used for measuring and monitoring the cardiovascular system, the REBA may provide insight into the energetic status of the patient. By sending a spectrum of brain wave frequencies through a cord attached at the wrist, a reaction profile and pattern is categorized. The four main EEG ranges correlate with the four energetic levels:
- The Vital Level corresponds to the delta frequencies (1-3.5 Hz) of deep sleep and trance.
- The Emotional Level corresponds to the theta frequencies (3.5-7 Hz) of dreams and fantasies.
- The Mental Level corresponds to the alpha frequencies (7-14 Hz) of relaxed attention.
- The Causal Level corresponds to the beta frequencies (14-30 Hz) of intensive attention.
By increasing the width of each brainwave frequency spectrum, vital, emotional, mental or causal energy levels are functionally tested and quantified. Energetics and an EEG are tightly correlated, which is why REBA uses the frequency spectrum of the brain to measure (indirectly) PsychoSomatic Energetic levels.
Prolozone® (Spring 2012)
Prolozone is a technique developed and pioneered by Dr. Frank Shallenberger in which an ozone/oxygen mixture is injected into the joint or muscular tissue. The term prolozone is derived from the Latin word "proli" which means to regenerate or rebuild, and the word ozone. Ozone is a highly active form of oxygen that appears to powerfully promote the repair and regeneration of damaged tissues, joints, ligaments, and tendons. This usually initiates healing and a permanent end to pain. This seemingly provides a curative result assuming that any other contributing factors such as infection, misaligned gait and movement, nutrient deficits, etc. are successfully managed.It is excellent for all forms of musculoskeletal and joint pain including chronic neck and back pain, rotator cuff injuries, degenerative and arthritic knees, degenerated discs, and shoulder and elbow pain. Prolozone seems to actually correct the pathology of the disorder, and according to Dr. Shallenberger there is a 75% chance for the chronic pain sufferer to becoming permanently pain free.
Conditions That Can Be Treated With Prolozone: Prolozone works on just about any pain problem: Neck pain, whiplash, degenerated or herniated discs, low back pain, plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, torn tendons, TMJ syndrome, sciatica, heel spurs, neuromas, tennis elbow, rotator cuff tears, knee injuries, bone fractures, and virtually any other sports injury. Prolozone has also been helpful as an adjunct therapy for interstitial cystitis, pelvic floor dysfunction, and lymphatic congestion. Because prolozone treatments may also result in cartilage regeneration, it may be effective even for severe cases of osteoarthritis of the knee.
For more information, download this file on prolozone inquiries.
Ozonotherapy (Summer 2011)
Ozonotherapy is the use of medical grade ozone, a highly reactive form of pure oxygen, found useful in:
- Activating the immune system in infectious diseases.
- Improving the cellular utilization of oxygen that reduces ischemia in cardiovascular diseases, and in many of the infirmities of aging.
- Releasing growth factors that stimulate damaged joints and degenerative discs to regenerate.
- Dramatically reducing or eliminating many cases of chronic pain through its action on pain receptors.
- Management of interstitial cystitis, chronic hepatitis, herpes infections, dental infections, diabetes, and macular degeneration.
When an energetic force, such as electricity or ultra-violet light, is imposed upon a molecule of O2, the two oxygen atoms are temporarily split apart into single oxygen atoms. In a matter of nanoseconds these highly unstable oxygen atoms will pair up again and reform back into O2 molecules. But a small percentage of them will unite into ozone, a molecule consisting of three oxygen atoms all sharing the same electrons. Because there just are not enough electrons for each of three oxygen atoms, ozone is a relatively unstable molecule. This instability is why it is such a powerful biological stimulant.
Pulsed ElectroMagnetic Fields (PEMF) - (Spring 2011)
Our Earth has a magnetic field that fluctuates (pulses) and this pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) is a key component for life. In fact many researchers refer to PEMFs as "The Fifth Element." Along with food, water, oxygen and sleep, the body needs PEMFs to survive. Unfortunately the Earth's magnetic field is getting weaker and some research suggests that it is almost 100 times less powerful as it was during the time of dinosaurs. Each of the approximately 75 trillion cells in your body vibrates or oscillates. Using the appropriate frequencies, electromagnetic impulses can induce resonant vibrations to stimulate a variety of cellular functions. However, only specific range or spectrum of electromagnetic frequencies are readily accepted by the body (called the biological window) trigger physiological responses. One key function of the cell membrane is to regulate the environment for biological processes inside the cell. This is achieved through selectively allowing water, nutrients, and elements to enter or leave the interior of the cell. One way the cell membrane achieves selective "permeability" is through the establishment of a membrane potential. PEMF normalizes cell membrane potentials. PEMF therapy is similar to charging a battery, which is each and every one of your cells. PEMF stimulates atoms, increases electronic spin, aligns molecules, and generates very small microcurrents that tend to run along nerve pathways. This leads to an increase in intercellular communication, metabolic processes in part due to increased circulation, oxygenation, alkalization, ATP production(the form of energy used by cells to perform work such as running enzymes), and optimized cell membrane potential. As a result, cells regenerate, oxidative stress and inflammation is reduced, immune responses are more robust, the feel-good endorphins are boosted, depleted adrenal and other endocrine gland functions are restored. Healing, rejuvenation, and regeneration. This is the foundation of PEMF therapy.
New Rules for Flexible Spending Accounts, HSA, HRA and Archer MSA (Jan 2011) -
According to the IRS, in order to qualify for reimbursement from these entities you should be able provide proof of purchase and proof of prescription, which as a medical doctor our office already provides. We give you a receipt issued by our supplement dispensary that reflects the date of sale and the amount of the charge, along with a copy of the prescription that outlines the specific product and instructions for medical use. We are working to include an Rx number to be sure that every possible requirement is met. Of course, we can not guarantee that you plan administrator will cooperate. Below is also a list of eligible "medications" that also require a letter of medical necessity from a medical doctor, which we will provide to our patients who use our dispensary.
- Calcium and other mineral supplements
- Fiber and joint supplements
- Hormone Therapy
- Herbal Formulas
- Homeopathic Remedies
Lang Allergy/AutoImmune Solution Therapy (Nov 2010) -web page pending
I attended Dr. Lang's conference in San Diego in November 2010. Combining the wisdom of the Old Testament with allergy desensitization techniques he learned over his 34 year career, Dr. Harvey Lang's approach is so simple that it defies explanation. Nevertheless, there is no risk, the results he reports are immediate and long lasting. This could be an inexpensive technique to consider in dealing with allergens and autoimmune conditions.
Voltage Biomodulation (Nov 2010) - web page pending
Electromedicine is common practice in traditional medicine- lasers, TENS, micro-current, electrocautery, ultrasound, electroshock, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, X-rays, etc. Despite this and the growing scientific evidence that the human body is powerfully influenced by energetic forces, the ability and the effectiveness of less conventional healing strategies using homeopathy, magnets, low level lasers, acupuncture, etc. is often questioned. Our patients report that harnessing energy to stimulate healing is one of the most powerful modalities we offer.
Voltage Biomodulation as taught to me by Jerry Tennant, MD is our newest offering that combines tangible electronic medicine (voltage) with the Tesla Resonating Circuits. This may be the missing link to why some patients are slow to heal. Even with the limited experience I have with this modality, I am already impressed with its elegant power and effectiveness.
SubLingual ImmunoTherapy (Oct 2010) - web page pending
In addition to avoidance, ongoing medication, and injectable allergen desensitizing immunotherapy (allergy shots), we now offer oral Allergy Drops (SLIT). This form of therapy has been popular throughout the world for over 60 years. There is ample evidence about the effectiveness of using sub-lingual (under the tongue) drops of allergens to induce tolerance. The treatment is simple - each day in your own home, you place a few drops of solution (the same serum used in allergy shots) under your tongue. Unlike the twice a week or monthly injections for which you must come in to a medical facility, you only need to visit our office every 12 weeks for a refill and a brief follow-up. Studies suggest that by your first follow-up, you'll likely notice a marked reduction in inhalant allergy symptoms and need for allergy medications. If you are like most patients, over time you will experience complete remission of your environmental allergies.
Chronic Lyme (Borellia) and Lyme-related Diseases (Aug 2010) - web page pending
According to Charles Crist, MD, "Borreliosis is possibly the most controversial disease on planet earth." He should know, he reports that he has treated over 7000 patients at the time I attended his lecture at the American Academy of Environmental Medicine in San Diego in the Fall 2010. My initial impression regarding the condition(s) related to "Lyme Disease" is that it represents Chronic Pervasive Microbe-Related Neurotoxic Immunosuppression (CPMNI). Since there is currently no definitive test for chronic Lyme and Lyme-related disease, laboratory results should not be used to exclude an individual from treatment. This condition is largely diagnosed clinically and tests should be used to support rather than supersede management. It is an immensely controversial and challenging condition for which we are only beginning to successfully address.
Very Low Calorie Fat Reduction Program using homeopathy (Oct 2009)
The Very Low Calorie Fat Reduction Program is a medical approach to reducing excessive storage fat and weight gain built around a low calorie diet coupled with specific supplements and homeopathic formula. The relationship between hCG and weight loss was discovered by Dr. A.T.W. Simeons in the 1960's. Tens of thousands of people reportedly used his treatment and achieved rapid weight loss. Unlike nearly every other weight reduction program available today, Simeons' patients did not gain the weight back. His book, Pounds and Inches, should be reviewed carefully so that by the time you decide to start an hCG program, you are mentally and dietarily prepared. Our program is similar to the Simeons program.
This program is not a diet, an exercise program, a psychological behavior modification program, or some other system that is supposed to help you lose weight. This program actually addresses and attempts to correct a physiological cause of obesity, weight-gain, and the inability to lose fat As such, the program offers a long term solution to obesity and weight gain. Furthermore, hCG seems to target fat loss in problem areas such as the stomach, buttocks, love handles, thighs, etc.
We make the program easier by making it modular and personalized to your needs: Since a key component of the program is a very low calorie diet for a short period, we offer:
- An alternative "Ideal Protein" to help you stay on track with the recommended food plan, which is limited to foods like: lean protein (fish, turkey, chicken, beef), tomatoes, celery, asparagus, onions, apples, strawberries, grapefruit, spinach, oranges and tea.
- Optional supplements, which reportedly promote muscle formation and fat reduction with exercise.
- MIC B12 injections given weekly which reportedly promote fat metabolism
- Sublingual hHCG rather than injections or oral hCG, which is most commonly derived from the urine of women in India or China. Most clinics have reported equal responses to the various formulations.
- Our cost is minimized since we are using existing staff and only ask that we are reimbursed for their time and the products you choose.
If you are committed to an uninterrupted 23-43 day program, call Vanessa at 714-565-1036 or e-mail her at Vanessa@drkaslow.com to arrange an appointment.
Cyclic Variations in Altitude Conditioning / CVAC (Aug 2009)
Our office was the only site in Orange County until Spring 2010 to offer Cyclic Variations in Altitude Conditioning (CVAC), which simulates changes in altitude through precise patterns. Within a 20-minute CVAC session the altitude changes an estimated 300-500 times with the pattern and targeted pressure and temperature changes arranged to enhance the fitness if your body type. I no longer have the equipment in our office but do recommend CVAC.
CVAC stimulates mitochondria (the energy producing organelles inside your cells), which leads to markedly improved strength, stamina, glucose metabolism, tolerance to inadequate oxygenation, etc. The list of reported benefits includes:
- Marked improvement in stamina and endurance (ex- cycling)
- Increased power in sports (cycling, mixed martial arts, triathlons, etc.)
- Marked improvement in recovery from engaging in sports or other high-exertion over-exertion in competitive sports.
- Marked improvement in glucose metabolism (ex – insulin resistance, diabetes. It should be noted that there is substantial evidence that insulin resistance and oxidative stress implicated in aging, aging-related disorders, and hypertension.)
- Improved levels of testosterone (ex – muscle mass, performance, confidence, blood glucose management, bone mineral deposition, fat reduction, etc.)
- Reduction in pain and restoration of sensation in diabetic neuropathy.
My son Jacob and I used the CVAC to help us summit Mount Kilimanjaro New Years 2009-2010 without altitude sickness. Know Your Options in Costa Mesa has a CVAC unit (www.knowyouroptionscenter.com)
Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation (Summer 2009)
It is well known that ultraviolet (UV) light waves purifies water and is used to treat sewage. By the same logic, UV can "purify" and "clean" your blood and body tissues if your blood is exposed to a controlled amount of UV energy. The technique is called many things including Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation (UVBI), Photoluminescence, Photo-oxidation Therapy, Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation (UBI), Hematogenous Oxygenation Therapy (HOT), and Extracorporeal Photophoresis. We call it Ultra Violet Photoluminescence (UVP) because using light energy (photons) to illuminate the blood does much more than simply irradiate it. UVP has been shown to:
- Energize or enhance the biochemical and physiological defenses of the body by the introduction of ultraviolet energy into the blood stream. UVP does not and can not kill every pathogen in your body directly. If that were the case, you would have to irradiate all of the blood in your system and every inch of your body. Rather UVBI transmits energy to the blood that empowers a strong response in the body. White blood cells, if they are out of control, begin to stabilize. UVP increases cell membrane permeability which enhances the body's ability to produce antibodies and marks pathogenic microorganisms for destruction by your immune system. The debris from dead pathogens stimulates the immune response further against even the most stubborn (antibiotic resistant) bacteria or viruses.
- Rapidly detoxify and relieve toxemia. UVP also helps the liver clear itself of fats.
- Increase venous blood oxygen in patients with depressed blood oxygen values. In fact, one of the effects noted by some is a "flushing" in the face and possibly a slight rise in temperature. Oxygen in the blood has a powerful effect, helping to eradicate not only pathogens, but it also creates an environment in which yeasts, fungi, and cancer cells cannot exist. It is generally believed that cancer requires an anaerobic (oxygen free) environment to grow.
- Reduce edema (swelling and water retention outside of the cells).
- If anemic, UVP tends to stimulate red blood cell production.
- Control nausea and vomiting.
- Rapidly increase your resistance to bacterial infections, acute or chronic without harmful effects by increasing white blood cell function (phagocytosis).
Microdose Biomodulation / Biopuncture (June 2009)
Class IV Laser 980nm with Frequency Modulation (Summer 2008)
Scanning the Interstitial Space (Summer 2008)
Photon Directed Actions (2008)
Digital Breast and Full Body Thermography /Infrared Mammograms (Jan 2006)
A thermogram is an infrared thermal image obtained by camera that photographs heat coming from your skin. The heat pattern is measured and analyzed. The procedure is non-invasive: nothing enters or touches the body. There is no risk of injury, radiation, etc. Infrared technology has been used as a medical device since the 1970's. Thermography reveals heat patterns associated with four basic processes:
- Inflammation - examples include infection, any type of "-itis, " fibromyalgia, acute trauma or strain, etc.
- Vascularity - examples include blood vessels that are near the surface such as varicose veins, as well as vascular tissue that may be associated with cancerous growth deeper in the tissue.
- Neurologic Dysfunction - examples include a pinched nerve from a bulging disc, dural elongation, muscle spasm, etc.
- Lymphatic Congestion - blocked or engorged lymphatic channels and pathways such as in the groin, armpits, above the clavicle, neck, etc.
In April 2012 we changed our procedure and approach to interpretation in order to provide a more holistic approach to the thermogram findings - we do a whole body thermogram to include comments about your neck (supraclavicular region), axilla (armpits), diaphragm, gall-bladder, spine, etc. which all greatly influence the profile and for women, the breast tissues.
Frequency Specific Microcurrent (Fall 2005)
Microcurrent is a faint electric current that is so small it is measured in millionths of an amp. By comparison a TENS unit and most other electro-therapies produce milliamps, 1000 times greater. Your own cells generate a current in the microamp range and this is why you can not feel it - the current is so low it does not stimulate sensory nerves. What it does is dramatically stimulate ATP (energy) production in the cells of your body. In doing so, this dramatically increases the tissue's healing rate. The almost immediate response to the correct microcurrent suggests that other mechanisms are involved as well. The exact effects or changes that result from microcurrent frequencies have not been proven because no biopsies have been done after microcurrent has been applied. Nevertheless the changes in the tissue are unmistakable; scars will often suddenly soften; trigger points often become less painful; swelling often drains within minutes when the "correct" frequency is applied. In many situations the changes seem to be long lasting and perhaps permanent.
I believe FSM works on the principle of biologic resonance. A singer can shatter a glass when the note resonates with the crystal structure of the glass. Microcurrent frequencies resonate with specific biologic tissue when the specific frequency is correct. Once the tissue is changed and stable, it seems to be able to stay in the new configuration with proper nutritional support. Animal research confirms that the frequency to reduce inflammation reduces inflammation by 62% in a mouse model. Prescription drugs reduce inflammation by 45% in the same mouse research. FSM reduced inflammation in other studies almost immediately as well.
Every patient responds individually but the changes to the muscles seem to be long lasting. About 60% to 80% of the changes created in one treatment last until the next treatment, about four to seven days. Your muscles are used to being the way they are and may return to the old configuration if not treated again. Although patients have had permanent changes in one treatment, the average number of treatments depends on the complexity of the problem.
Arterial Health Assessment through DPA /CASP (Fall 2005)
The DPA (Digital Photo-plethysmograph Analyzer) is a FDA approved device used to measure and analyze pulse waveforms and heart rate. The measurement probe is placed on your finger (or toe) and a LED light is transmitted through your finger to a photodiode sensor on the other side. The sensor detects how much light was absorbed by the hemoglobin in your blood vessels. The DPA converts the changes in light into a waveform and graph, which are used to assess your heart rate, blood vessels, and the power and speed of your heart muscle. For example, the proportion of your blood pumped out during each beat compared to the amount that remains in your heart at the beginning of the next beat, is called the ejection fraction. The ejection fraction estimates the hearts pumping ability based on the relationship between end diastolic volume, stroke volume, end systolic volume, and ejection fraction.
From the information provided, the following can be assessed: Early detection of hypertension, early detection of arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), blood circulation status, the relative age of your blood vessels, and disturbances in the smaller blood vessels not found when measuring you blood pressure with a cuff.
Toxic Metals and why there is variable toxicity and successful excretion (March 2006)
Flexible Spending Accounts
Low Level Lasers
Body Composition Assessment (BIA)
Family Constellation Therapy
Weight Loss through our Ultra-Lite Program
Why I terminated my contracts with most PPO plans
We continue to be part of the Cigna PPO network. Although we do not participate in other PPOs, we welcome new patients with any type of insurance coverage.
Health Bulletin given to all new patients
Summer 2004 Health Bulletin
Fall 2000 Health Bulletin
Spring 2000 Health Bulletin
January 2000 Health Bulletin