Paraphrased from Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, Ph.D.’s article in Explore! Volume 10, 2000
In the late phase of the Roman Empire, it was considered a privilege of the reigning aristocracy to drink out of lead cups and many of the water lines in the city of Rome were made out of lead pipes. It took several hundred years before the physicians of the time established the link between mental illness — affecting mostly the aristocracy — and the contamination of the drinking water with lead. In the 1700s, the use of mercury for the treatment of both acute and chronic infections gained favor and again, it took decades before the toxic effects of mercury were recognized within the medical community. In the time of Mozart, who died of mercury toxicity during a course of treatment for syphilis, any pathologist in Vienna was familiar with the severe grayish discoloration of organs in those who died from mercury toxicity and other organ-related destructive changes caused by mercury.
In the case of mercury, the therapeutic dilemma is most clear. Mercury can be used to treat infections, but – not unlike modern chemotherapy — also causes a different type of illness and may kill the patient. The same is true for most metals; small doses may have a therapeutic effect for a short term, life saving direction, but may also cause their own illness. Most metals have a very narrow therapeutic margin before their neurotoxic (and in some cases carcinogenic effect) outweigh the benefits. Toxic metals can be used to kill fungi, bacteria, and maybe even viruses. However, many of these microbial invaders adapt to a toxic metal environment.
Unfortunately we do not adapt so readily – toxic metals harm the cells of the body whereas the invading microorganisms can often thrive in a heavy metal environment. Research shows that microorganisms tend to congregate in those body compartments that have the most toxic metals. This is in part because the body’s own immune cells are incapacitated in those areas whereas the microorganisms multiply and thrive in an undisturbed way. The teeth, jawbone, Peyer’s lymphoid patches in the gastrointestinal wall, the ground-system (connective tissue) and the autonomic ganglia are common sites of metal storage and the place where microorganisms thrive. Furthermore, those bodily areas are also vasoconstricted (the blood vessels are in spasm) and hypoperfused (reduced blood flow) by blood, nutrients and oxygen, which foster the growth of anaerobic germs, fungi and viruses.
The list of symptoms of mercury toxicity alone, published by DAMS (Dental Amalgam Support Group) includes virtually all illnesses known to humankind. Chronic fatigue, depression and joint pains are the most common on the list. Mercury alone can mimic or cause any illness currently known or at least contribute to it.
Through the use of the PCR test (polymerase chain reaction) virtually any illness seems to be caused or contributed to by a chronic infection. A study performed by the VA Administration (published in JADA, April 1998) on 10,000 US veterans, showed that most coronary heart disease really starts as an infection of endothelial cells (cells lining of the blood vessel) and, in most cases was caused by microorganisms from the mouth. Another study showed that close to 70% of all TMJ syndromes in women are caused or contributed to by Chlamydia trachomatis. Childhood diabetes is often caused by either a Cytomegalovirus or influenza virus infection.
Combining these two observations suggests that diagnosing and removing treating toxic metals should be combined with treatment of the microorganisms. As long as compartmentalized toxic metals are present in the body, microorganisms have a fortress that cannot be conquered by antibiotics, Enderlein remedies, ozone therapy, UV light therapy etc..
To diagnose metal deposits in the different body compartments on a living patient is not easy. Most “scientific” tests are based on grinding up tissue and then examining it with a microscope, spectroscopy or other laboratory-based procedures. This is of course is impractical, so we have to rely on the next best option – analysis of hair, blood, and/or urine. The metals found most commonly are:
Among the detoxifying agents most commonly used are DMPS, DMSA, Captomer Ò, D-Penicillamine, I.V. vitamin C, I.V. Glutathione, sulfur compounds such as DL-Methionine (Redoxal and Cysteine, branched chain amino acids, Chlorella Pyrenoidosa, PorphrazymeÒ , ModufilinÒ, Pro-AlgenÒ, ChitosanÒ, activated charcoal, cilantro and yellow dock. Dr. Kaslow now uses NDF Mier Chelator drops that are extremely safe and effective. Other non-biochemical approaches to reduce metal levels include electro-mobilization (using the Electro-Bloc).
Effective therapy thus must incorporate the following:
However, the thoughts expressed thus far do not answer one important question. Why do patients deposit the mercury and toxins in a specific area of their body? Some deposit mercury in their hypothalamus (and develop multiple hormone problems), or in their limbic system (depression). Others deposit it in the adrenal glands (fatigue), or in their bones (osteoporosis, leukemia). Some in the pelvis (interstitial cystitis), in the autonomic and sensory ganglia (chronic pain syndromes); some in the connective tissue (scleroderma, lupus, rheumatism, fibromyalgias), or in the cranial nerves (tinnitus, cataracts, TMJ problems, loss of smell), or in the muscles (fibromyalgia). There seems to be multiple causes:
The disease model that is emerging from these observations: