THE LIVER FLUSH
For patients that are free of intestinal overgrowth or imbalances of yeast, parasites, bacteria, and viruses, the liver flush can be of great benefit in improving digestion, metal and chemical detoxification, thoracic pain, and food intolerances. The flush can be repeated if needed at two week intervals up to 4-6 times. During both days stop all non-essential supplements and medications and make sure that the second day is free enough that you can spend it resting if necessary.
This procedure is not recommended without professional oversight. If you have a large gallstone and it is “flushed” into the common bile duct, you may have created a medical emergency. Ask if you are not sure or have an ultrasound confirm the size of your gallstones!
For a few days before the flush, drink 8-16 ounces of organic apple juice with 20-30 drops of Phosfood (orthophosphoric acid), which is available from our Nutritional Pharmacy.
1) Eat a no-fat breakfast and a no-fat lunch. Do not eat or drink after 2:00pm.
2) Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts in 1 1/2 cups of water and refrigerate. This will make up two doses.
3) At 6:00PM drink half of the mixture from step 2. It tastes pretty bad so do it as quickly as possible.
4) At 8:00PM drink the remaining half of the mixture.
5) Take a bottle of virgin pressed olive oil out of the refrigerator and two grapefruits. Prepare your evening so that you’ll be ready for bed at 10:00PM.
6) A little before 10:00PM, fresh squeeze 3/4 cup of grapefruit juice (remove the pulp) and add 1/2 cup of olive oil, and shake it very well.
7) At 10:00PM drink the mix fairly quickly. A straw helps. Drink it while standing up. Make sure you are totally ready to go to bed at this point.
8) Lie down immediately after drinking it and stay on your back very still for approximately 20 minutes and then go to sleep.
Eat only fruit for breakfast and a no-fat lunch.
Don’t be surprised if you experience nausea and gastrointestinal discomfort during the night. There should be no pain.
Expect loose watery bowels in the morning. Some flushes do more Epsom salt in the morning and we leave that up to your discretion, though in more sensitive patients it is not a good idea. The bowel movements are often filled with pea colored “stones” sometimes 100 or more.